Saturday, February 8, 2014

Hearts All of Glass 6: Episodes

Mr. Boris R. Vladinova. Sophrobion 17. 6011.
It is with our deepest regret that we inform you that your son Anselov Vimitrilev has been vanished in the service of the Empire. The morning of Siphrobion 2nd the light cruiser Nenalev sustained heavy fire and went down presumably with all hands off the coast of Asther’Shaar. A joint memorial service for the crew of the Nenalev will be held in Prokovenia on the 17th of this month. Her majesty the Queen offers her deepest condolences for your loss as do we at the Admiralty Bureau.
Vice Admiral Nikolai Istomin.
-Naval KIA notification

It was long after my prescribed curfew when I sauntered through the door of my uncle’s flat. I was surprised to find him and Mei seated at the Sofa rather than off in their bedroom or in the kitchen and I gave a friendly wave. At this, my uncle rose, and- much to my surprise- shouted at me.
“It takes fifteen minutes to walk to your school, fifteen minutes! ... So tell me, what excuse could you have for being so late! You missed dinner and were nowhere in sight went I walked to your school to find you! What gives you the nerve creep out like that? Do you even appreciate living here? I ought to send you back to your father, let him deal with you!” He sliced the air with his arms as he spoke and I could see him losing steam in his eyes. “Get to your room, no more sneaking around.” His outburst left me stunned with a poison I had never expected to hear in his voice, I wondered what caused him to take my arrival as such a personal betray, but thought better of talking back. I was still standing there with my head down when Mei made a “Psst!” sound and motioned for me to head to my room. My uncle simply stood at the center of the den with a crumpled paper in his hand as a single tear streamed down his face.
In my room I locked the door and sprang onto my creaking bed. I lit the dim lantern beside my bed rather than turn on the electric light and produced a novel from my school satchel. It would be several hours before sleep seemed logical, and only having eaten candies since lunch I was hardly excited about being denied supper. The book was a droll, droning story about a pair of lovers separated by a family feud and drastically overreacting to their circumstances. Halfway through the chapter I took out my glassheart.
Unread messages displayed in order received:
Ausrine Novacore:  Where are you? I am waiting in the hall.
Ausrine Novacore: You haven’t left have you?
Aursine Novacore: Hello?
Ausrine Novacore: I’m sorry but I have to leave now, if you want we can still talk later today, I hope.
Ausrine Novacore: ...
I was stricken with pangs of guilt from ignoring and neglecting Ausrine that evening, and panic lightly set in as I contemplated what my afternoon with Elaine would mean to Ausrine.
Ela: You’re not in trouble with your uncle are you?
User: ...Of course not, I have my studies tonight though.
Ela: The exams are not until next week, silly.
User: Still, I’d better get started, I’ll speak to you later.
Ela: So cold! (Laughter) Whatever you say Vladinova, just allow me to thank you once more for coming out tonight, it was a pleasure.
User: Good evening, Elaine, thank you as well.
And with that I tossed the stone to the floor, it landing squarely beside my deflated empty stachel. All I could think about was Ausrine. Not my novel, nor my studies, nor the kiss with Elaine or my uncle’s meltdown. Only... Concern for that fragile girl, and her feelings. I swallowed hard, laying back and writhing in my guilt and frustration. I would make things right tomorrow, at school, our final day before the weekend, I’d go to her and ask her out like I’d been meaning to, that’s what I resolved to do. I was too excited from the day’s events to sleep, but too flushed with desire to think. I forget what I did instead that night.

The barking of a tame fox woke me the next morning, and I grudgingly crawled out of bed and dressed before peering outside my windows. It was Ausrine, in the street below, struggling to hold a vibrant burnt umber fox in her arms as it yelped and nipped at the air, apparently upset enough to bark rather than run away. Someone out of my line of sight shouted for her to control her pet and I saw her give an awkward bow of apology. I slipped my jacket on and shoveled my schoolbooks into my bag before rushing downstairs and out the front door, just in time to see her fox slip her arms and dart between her legs, disappearing down the street. Ausrine, visibly panicked, pivoted in place helplessly for a moment before stumbling off after her crimson wildling. She didn’t hear me call her name, but I needed to return up to the flat to retrieve my audiolith and rinse my mouth out anyways.
Ausrine: Goodmorning, want to walk to school together? I have so-
Her message was cut short, and I gave a light chuckle at the mental image of her fox disrupting her concentration. I walked the surrounding blocks for ten minutes before calling off the search for Ausrine though, she had evidently either gone to school or ventured farther off after her pet. I didn’t bother to inquire about her whereabouts and instead strolled to school at a leisurely pace, daydreaming about Ausrine and suppressing a lurking feeling of dread.
At the gates, Anya accosted me. Her hair was disheveled and her skin reddened. I gave a quick glance from side to side, in search of Ausrine, then addressed Anya.
“Goodmorning.” I gave a curt wave.
“Goodmorning? Is that what you’d call it?” She drew a deep breath and exhaled impatiently. “Just what’s your game Vladinova? You deserted Ausrine and I yesterday after school, and I just heard from Tolstoy that you were seen getting in the car with that Nexus heiress after class!”
“She’s not an heiress, her father’s only a manager.” Somehow this was all I could think to say. I felt oddly defensive around Anya, her piercing gaze causing my guilt to stir violently.  
“Oh I’m sorry, didn’t mean to overestimate your girlfriend. Why don’t you tell Ausrine you don’t like her already?”
“I... I do like her though. Really, I wanted to ask her out yesterday, I just...”
“Just what? You’re driving her mad, you idiot. These past weeks she’s clearly liked you as more than a friend, and every time she has a chance to speak with you you’re off with that spoiled Elaine.”
“I had no idea. I really do feel the same way as her, trust me-” Anya raised a hand.
“Right- Which is why you’re going to ask her to the dance today after school. Am I correct?” The dance. Of course it was back then only a tradition in its infancy, the Youth Day Social was just as popular with Secondary School students then as it was now. Then it resembled a gallant traditional military ball, mind you, rather than the racy parties that pass for social events in the post-war world. I stuttered and mumbled and nodded. When I didn’t meet Anya’s eyes she took me by the collar and shook me. “This is Ausrine we’re talking about here, you either like her or you don’t. If you do, then start acting like it! No excuses! Now are you going to ask her today or not?”
“I will. Relax, I never meant any harm.”
“Right. What were you up to with Elaine yesterday anyhow?” My heart sank and my stomach twisted simultaneously. Anya tightened her grip on my garments and learned in closer. On her breath was stale buttered toast with sunberry jam. I don’t know what I would have said to her, but- thank the gods- the school bells sounded from across the courtyard and Anya glanced at the bell tower and released me. She muttered a silent curse and grumbled something about teachers and meetings. “I have to go. Here’s your glassheart back.” She threw my audiolith at my face and I failed to catch it in time. Luckily it withstood both my face and the fall to the ground. I bent down to pick it up, and when I stood again, Elaine was nearly before me. With a friendly smile she nodded for me to walk with her to class.
“Who was that you were talking to? She looks rather flustered.”
“A friend of a friend. She was upset that I wouldn't give her my notes to copy. She took my glassheart for some reason too, can you believe her?” I swallowed my frustration with Anya and clenched my smooth stone.
Anya: You better behave now.
Of course. She’d input her contact identity while she scolded me. How had she stolen it from me in the first place? What a strange girl, quite unruly in my opinion. Elaine noticed my vacant stare and recognized my activity.
“Getting a glassheart whisper? Who from? Anyone I know?”
Anya: Just thought I’d give you my contact, since you’re going to be dating my best friend and all.
“Just my uncle, telling me to be home on time for supper this evening.” I gave an obviously forced laugh. Elaine squinted at me, then smiled cordially.
“Sorry once again for making you late. Does this mean you cannot accompany me for tea after class?”
“N-no, I’ll see you later though, bye then.”
“We have first period together, or don’t you remember?” She gave a light giggle. I gazed out into the street from within the school walls and longed for Ausrine to show up. The school bells were due to toll again in a few minutes though and I could not delay any longer. I shrugged and followed Elaine to Deltoran class.
We made idle conversation through our glasshearts despite our previous incident in class the other day. I knew Elaine could sense my disinterest in our whispers so part way through class the exchange drifted off and I allowed myself a moment to daydream about Ausrine. Elaine looked on, throwing sidelong glances of concern at me as the class dragged by. When the bell rang to release us she hurriedly stood and hustled out the door in a blur, I had hardly time to stand before I noticed she was gone. Shrugging, I proceeded to my next class and thumbed my glassheart in my pocket while waiting for the next period to begin.
User: Hello Ausrine
Ausrine Novacore: H-hi... There. Hello.
User: Was that you I saw out on Sakahlin Street this morning? With the Fox?
Ausrine Novacore: Yes! I mean, yes... I... You told me you lived there so, I just thought we could walk together in the morning... *Sigh* And that was my pet fox Chelsea, she was misbehaving so I had to take her home.
User: That’s too bad, I would have loved to see her.
Ausrine Novacore: I’m sorry, I can’t take her to school you know.
User: I know, perhaps tomorrow morning then.  
Ausrine Novacore: Actually, would you like to come with me at lunch then?
User: You can bring your fox during lunch?!
Ausrine Novacore: N-no... I meant... To sit with Anya and I.
User: Of course. *Laughs* I’ll be at the stairs.
I was grinning like an idiot to myself as I waltzed into History. The morning evaporated into a fine mist of day dreams as I eagerly awaited the lunch bell.  By the time my prayers for reprieve from the boredom of class were answered, I had thoroughly rehearsed how I would request Ausrine’s accompaniment to the dance in person. I hurriedly made my way to the stairs, only to arrive before Anya and Ausrine. I noticed Elaine coming down the stairs from the second floor, and to avoid her attention I began trodding downstairs as if I had been walking ahead of her the whole time. In the noise of the hallway I cannot be certain whether she really called my name or not.
Coming the opposite direction was Ausrine, arm in arm with Anya. I felt their icy glare at Elaine as she passed, and she flashed a weak smile at me before staring down Ausrine as she disappeared down the hall. Anya scoffed and waved for me to follow them to their spot on the landing amid the stairwell. The girls giggled as we situated ourselves and unpacked our lunches.
“So,” Ausrine began, sounding unusually confident. “Anya tells me you have something you need to tell me?” I swallowed hard and looked helplessly at Anya. She smiled deviously. She cycled her hands in motioning for me to speak.
“Er... Yes, I suppose.”
“You don’t have to right now if you don’t want to...” Ausrine’s eyes quickly sought out the floor and made a point of examining it thoroughly. Anya nudged her and spoke up:
“Of course you do, it’s now or never, correct? You know what they say...”
“No, what do they say?” I mused over this longer than I should have.
“Just ask her already!”
“Ask me?” Ausrine gasped.
“Ask... Her?” Ausrine tugged a strand of her rosy hair out of her way and looked to me in anticipation. A faint smile and a distinct blush invaded her delicate face. All my plans for an eloquent request for her company at the social mysteriously vanished from my mind. I was left with a series of stuttered and slurred apologies. Anya leaned forwards and dug her elbow into my knee, which proved quite painful given the way we were seated on the floor there. I spastically shook my head and attempted to regroup the remnants of my composure. In one long breath,
“Ausrine, would you like to come to the Youth Day Social?” I asked, as slowly and calmly as possible. Exhaling, I added: “With me, I mean. I’ll pay, I... Er...” Anya dug her elbow in deeper and moved her finger to her lips, signaling me to await Ausrine’s reply.
The tension was indeed very palpable. Ausrine made no reply, she only blushed a luminous scarlett and stood, slowly at first, like a fawn learning to walk. Then, her eyes once again fixed on the floor, she bolted. Leaving her satchel and lunch abandoned she thrust herself into sudden motion, rushing down the stairs and into the crowded hall below. There was a stunned moment of disbelief as my mind raced to rationalize what had happened. A sharp jab from Anya’s elbow quickly whipped me out of thought.
“Now look what you’ve done.” She stood. Pointing at the ground she gave a harsh stare. “Stay here.” She rushed off after Ausrine. Only, she hadn’t paid attention to which direction Ausrine had gone in the hall below us. I had only barely caught sight of her red hair bobbing in the crowd to the left, meanwhile Anya and veered vehemently to the left.
I couldn’t possibly fathom letting Ausrine get away that easily, so I stood in turn, shoving our bags and lunches into the corner before racing after her. Intuition led me on an arbitrary path through the halls, ending in double wooden doors which opened out to the yard behind the main hall. On a bench under a withered black tree Ausrine sat silently on a rustic stone bench. She held her head in her hands, hunched and submissive, shuddering as I approached.
She wasn’t crying when I sat down beside her, but she flinched away from me and hid her face. I opened my mouth to speak and found myself momentarily mute. The breeze rattled the bare branches above. The din of the school and the whole city surrounded us in our isolated place, the suns harshly reflecting off the many windows of classrooms in the main hall of the school.
“...What is it, Dmitri?” She sniffed, slowly and quietly.
“What is what? I just wanted to check on you. Are you okay?”
“N-No...”
“Oh.”
User: Do you want to talk about it?
Ausrine Novacore: I can’t. Not with you.
User: Really, it’s alright. Whatever you think you shouldn’t hesitate to say.
Ausrine Novacore: I’m sorry then.
User: For what? No, I mean, please tell me, it would come as a great relief if I knew I could help you with whatever’s wrong.
She dropped her glassheart and turned to me, her hair covering most of her face, but her tearful eyes slightly visible.
“But what if you’re the problem?”
“...I?”
“How can you ask me to the dance when you’re courting that... t-that... Shallow, spoiled, Elaine? Why would you do that?”
“Why, Ausrine, I... I don’t fancy her, what gave you that impression?”
“Leon told me you took her to the theater yesterday evening! What would you call that?”
“Nothing at all of course!” I desperately grasped for a reasonable sounding explanation in my mind. There was none, so I instead opted for denial. “We didn't do anything of the sort.”
“Don’t say that! She was positively beaming today in class, what... what’s going on with you two?”
“Nothing. I promise you... Ausrine... I...” I rallied my strength and inhaled sharply. “I can’t think of anyone but you.” This was technically true, I had had little luck contemplating Elaine or anyone else I knew lately, I was too caught up with daydreams of Ausrine to consider the big picture.
“I... Want...” Ausrine held her face in her hands and shook her head. She mumbled the next bit: “I want very badly to believe you, I do hope you mean it- I’d like very much if...”
“There, there...” I manufactured a reassuring smile and forced it in place, boldly wrapping an arm around her shoulders and sliding closer on the bench. From the school building an astonished murmur arose. I glanced back towards to the main hall to see dozens of students looking on from several windows across the beige brick wall. Ausrine shuddered at my attempt at consolation and shrugged my arm off of her, sitting up and pushing her hair out of her face rather violently. Her eyes were reddened and damp, but full of an unprecedented new confidence.
“You really didn’t go on a date with Elaine?” I nodded under her piercing gaze. “And there’s no one else you’d rather go to the dance with?” She cracked a shy smile at this, her head slowly tilting downward and her eyes staying locked with mine. I nodded again, vigorously, perhaps a little too hard. I could feel the eyes of nearly the whole school behind me, and I could see Ausrine visibly blushing under the multitude of curious gazes. She ran her hand hesitantly through her brilliant hair and exhaled with relief. “Well... Th-That’s good.”
Ausrine hastily stood and mouthed a thank you before planting a quick peck, dry and off-center (but heartwarming none the less) right on my lips. I braced for a longer kiss but when I opened my eyes she was walking away, waving back towards me ever so slightly. The entire audience we’d accumulated in the school windows burst into applause and a few indignant gasps resounded through the crowd of onlookers. Ausrine flashed a bashful smile back at me as she slipped through one of the heavy double doors, disappearing into the hall and leaving me once again tongue-tied.
I scanned the wall of students who remained clapping or whistling at me and nodded smugly at a few fellow male students who’d doubted my courage in earlier conversations. I shrugged and smiled nervously up at Mr. Kortiev- who stood, arms crossed with a disapproving scowl in an upper balcony. My heart skipped a beat as my eyes met with Elaine’s. Looking dejected for only a split second she puffed out her chest and crossed her arms impatiently. Her trembling frown turned to a disappointed grimace as she turned away and vanished from my sight. I stood, making a show of brushing off my trousers and cracking my neck, before making my way inside.
Back at the stairs, Ausrine was nowhere in sight, but Anya stood at the place where all our bags had been. Ausrine’s things had already been collected yet Anya was waiting against the wall with her satchel and mine on her shoulders. She viciously finished off her lunch and licked the crumbs off of her palm. I peered around for my food before realizing that it was my lunch she had just finished off. She shrugged off my satchel and tossed it to me. I stumbled forward to catch it and protested when she punched me squarely in the arm.
“What was that for?”
“I told you to stay here.” She grinned and wiped her mouth. “I saw that little scene out there. Things just seem to work themselves out for you don’t they?”
“I...What?”
“Nothing, nevermind. Perhaps you don’t know Ausrine at all, as I suspected to begin with. I’m not offering to let you back out- But are you sure you know what you’re getting into?” She seemed frightfully serious in her demeanor and certainly more threatening than usual in her searching stare. No time to ponder an honest answer, I replied with all the confidence I could muster.
“I’ve never been more certain of anything.” She inhaled. Blinked. Turning her head to the left slowly she gave a highly skeptical scan of my whole body, top to bottom. She exhaled.
“Right. Good then.” I opened my mouth to thank her for her help but she pushed passed me and melded with the flowing crowd of students on the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment