Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Hearts All of Glass 5: Auditions

Ladies and gentlemen, the fifth installment:


It fills the air time and time again,
I dream about it till the end,
Don’t think that I don't care,
When love is in the air.

Take me out to dinner dear,
See that you have nothing to fear,
We only have this time to live,
So show me what you have to give.

When rage across the sea,
What great wars will you win for me?
Don’t think that I don’t quite care,
Not when love is in the air.”

-”Missy” Sonja Mayaklev, “Out Tonight”, Nexus records,  Siphrobion 16th, 6011

“You’re right, this record is pretty good. Now put the radio back on and get to school now.” My second week at this new school was off to a late start, I had dawdled too long showing off my latest phonograph records to my uncle, namely one I had acquired with Elaine’s help for free over the weekend. I rushed down the stairs and into the street, cursing the ten minute walk that lay ahead. It was early fall and the weather was still hot, despite the thick clouds of soot that grayed the twin suns overhead. This would mark the first of many tardies to my first period Deltoran class, all due to one factor. Ausrine.
She was peering cautiously in both directions before venturing out across the street. She held her hair out of her face and stared at the pavement before her, oblivious to my casual wave. I called out to her as our paths crossed at the next intersection, and she shook her hair in a glorious cascade of crimson to frantically check either side of her. When she noticed me she stood up a little straighter and waved hello, before returning to her natural posture and letting her hair fall infront of her eyes as I came alongside her. We crossed the next street in silence before I felt my glassheart hum with magic. I reached into my jacket pocket and fingered the cold stone to see what message I had received.   
Ela: WHERE ARE YOU?
I hadn't sent a message before on an audiolith, but it apparently was thought-operated, like the rest of the display.
User: Sorry I’m late, I got carried away with those Missy records we got yesterday. I am walking to class now.
I think Ausrine could tell I was preoccupied with something so she kept her eyes fixed on the pavement as we walked, briskly defying the lethargic morning air.
Ela: GOOD. HURRY UP.
I shook my head, puzzled at her motives for contacting me, and turned my attention to Ausrine. The conversation reflected the atmosphere that morning- stale and warm, with a desire to get it over with as painlessly as possible. I held the school gates open and she passed through, thanking me quietly and smiling again. Gods, that smile. In the split second before we parted ways I asked:
“Ausrine...” Damn, it felt good to say her name. “Do you want to sync stones? You know, since we live nearby? We could walk together in the mornings more easily that way.” I couldn't tell for sure in the harsh morning light but I’d swear she was smiling ecstatically behind her veil of hair. She held hers out at arm’s length and I fiddled with the mental controls for a moment before holding mine up too. I was shifting nervously and staring at the ground as well as we waited for the long moment to pass. When the telltale “clink” rang out in my mind, I knew the process was complete and she pulled hers away almost instantly. She could see this came across as defensive and reserved, and so she took and uncertain step forward. Ausrine forcefully brushed her hair out of her face and looked up to make eye contact. At about the same height as me, she didn't have to tilt her head high, which was fine, since it looked as though she was fighting the urge to let it fall again. I felt my glassheart hum in my hand and simultaneously she gave a cute wave and said goodbye. I watched her walk away, standing alone on the dry front lawn of the school. I checked my new message.
Ausrine Novacore: Want to meet at lunch? I sit on the stairs. Novacore was the name of the corrupt dynasty that preceded the Voltacores and later the Glasskards in Deltora. I was surprised to learn her last name was such a rare one, and I wondered if she had any connection to the former rulers. Surely not, as any sane survivor of that bloodline would have changed their name and fled considering how hated they were in their last days of power during the civil war. I wondered a lot about her actually. We lived close by but I had never seen her about until that day, I was still curious about her entire background, and the secluded way she and her family seemed to conduct themselves. Wild impossibilities raced through my imagination, only to be banished by a spastic wave by Elaine as I came through the door, late, into first period Deltoran.
I settled into my seat and took out my schoolbooks, impatient to get the first half of the day over with.  Before I could melt into my studies or daydreams, a rough poke forced my attention to the left. A portly classmate in the desk beside me nudges me and handed me a tin of candy. I’ll never know how she guessed that these Nexus Chews were my favorite. He tilted his head so as to motion to Elaine, seated three rows away, smiling and pointing to her wrist-bound glassheart. I reached in my pocket and caught her incoming message.
Ela: Like them?
User: Yes, these are my favorite, how did you know?
Ela: I got them before class for both of us. Stare forward so it looks like you’re paying attention to the teacher.
She had a good point there. I straightened my posture and faced forward, with a pencil in my right hand and my left buried in my jacket pocket.
User: Thanks.
Ela: What are you doing at lunch? Are you free?
User: Not sure, why?
Ela: Auditions! Don’t you want to be in the play? This turn it’s “Operin Nights”
User: That comedy? I’ll think about it.
Ela: Please come watch me at least! I’m trying out for Svetlana, the lead.
User: I said I’ll think about it. I promise.
Ela: *An image of her pleading face appeared*
I let out a startled gasp in my seat and bumped both knees on the underside of my desk. I had never received an image message before, and it puzzled me as to how she had transmitted not only the image but the emotion behind her pleading eyes. Something stirred deep within me, reminding me of the unsettling implications of glassheart technology. I closed my eyes and tried to send an image in response, but a harsh “thwack!” erupted before me. The instructor, Mr. Kortiev, clicked his tongue and scowled.
“Having fun with your new toy, Vladinova? Give me that, you can get it back after class. Don’t think I can't detect the aura those things give off. Using electronics in class is prohibited. Now just who are you corresponding with? Confess!” He started to look around the room accusingly and snatched the trinket from my open palm. He tilted his head up and began to “sniff” the air for arcane auras, but Elaine humbly raised her hand and hung her head in shame. “Miss Prokofiev? I expected more from the daughter such a prestigious Nexus party member.”
“I’m sorry, it won’t happen again. Here.” She stood and surrendered her audiolith, giving a slow bow. The teacher’s harsh facade wavered at the sight of her pleading eyes and repentant posture. He took the delicate red stone with a slight hesitation then spoke.
“Very well, neither of you will be reprimanded further, but let this be a warning! Full attention on me at all times, ladies and gentlemen. Now, where was I?”

We got our glasshearts back as promised. The rest of my morning classes went by more or less in a sleepy blur and by the time the lunch bell announced my freedom from science class I was famished. Almost automatically, I headed for the central stairwell. It was a lengthy wait as students buzzed by, nearly crushing me under foot a few times. I saw Elaine, on her way to the theatre, and she waved at me before being pushed along by the constant flow of the crowd.
Ela: Coming?
Before I could even think of a reply, a gentle kick to my shoulder caught my attention. Ausrine, standing a few stairs above me, bowed hello and gestured for me to follow her up the stairs. Apparently by sitting on the stairs she meant she occupied the corner of the landing between floors. Waiting for her was her minute friend Anya, whom I had seen her converse with several times before in the halls. She waved hello and bit into a piece of sweet bread, ravenously. Ausrine sank to the floor, sitting in that broken-legged way that always puzzled and fascinated me. I asked if we’d be blocking traffic in the middle of this busy stairwell but Anya mumbled that it was fine, though a mouthful of sweet bread. Ausrine nodded to confirm this, and I dubiously sat down beside them. I crossed my legs and opened my bag, letting the lunch I had brought and the tin of candies clatter to the floor. I opened my mouth to offer some to Ausrine, but Anya snatched them up and said:
“Mmm.. Ey.. Can I have some of these...?” She stared at me blankly, awaiting my reply. I shrugged, sure, why not? Ausrine smiled and took a few for herself too, pushing her hair out of her face before quickly popping one into her mouth. She ate hastily and self consciously from her palm, like a bird.
“Where did you get these? I love these candies, my father used to buy them for me when I was young.” Ausrine seemed delighted by their familiar taste and leaned forward in anticipation to my answer. Considering what had transpired at the last mention of Elaine, I should have had the presence of mind to hold my tongue. And I almost did, but when I tried to say that a friend in Deltoran class gave them to me, I blurted out:
“Elaine. She gave... Me... These.” Ausrine had slunk into the corner and let her hair fall back in front of her face, but Anya gave a poison stare that burned into my skull like an acid dagger.
“Why do you talk to that mindless brat?” Anya demanded. I stopped myself before I could ask what they had against her, and defend Elaine as my friend. Anya shook a piece of sweet bread and pressed on. “Well? Why do you bother with her, Vladinova?”
Ausrine put her hand on Anya’s accusatory arm and the two shared a mournful look. After an awkward lull in the conversation I brought up a subject Ausrine and I could both relate to.
“So, will either of you be trying out for the play?” I tried to direct my question to Ausrine, but Anya bolted upright and swallowed loudly.
“Yes! I’m going to be the Station Master, and Ausrine here’s going to be Svetlana. That’s the lead female role in ‘Operin Nights’, you know.” Ausrine smiled proudly at this announcement and I felt a tinge of concern.
“Auditions are today, aren't you two going to be late?” Anya nearly choked on her next bite of sweet bread.
“What?! Today! ... He’s right! Aus! Get up, let’s go!” She pulled Ausrine up by the hand and dragged her into the flow of students walking down the stairs. “You’ll bring our stuff, right Vladinova? Come watch us in the theatre!” I groaned and began to collect the three satchels left scattered on the landing. A familiar hum pulsed in my pocket as I embarked downstairs.
Ela: I’m about to go on! WHERE ARE YOU? PLEASE HURRY.
I entered through the back just as Elaine was taking a bow and being thanked for her audition. She gave her script to the director and bounced up the central aisle to a seat in the middle. She spotted me seconds after I sat and bolted over to me like a wild predator. She spoke in an excited whisper.
“How did I do? Isn't it hilarious?” Elaine seemed very happy to see me, she must have assumed I had been there the whole time, shrouded in the darkness of the unlit audience section. She didn't notice the three school satchels I had in my lap, her gaze remained fixed on my clueless face until the next auditioner was called onstage.
Ausrine came onstage, obviously paralysed with fright, and began inaudibly reading her lines off the script.
“Wait a second darling, patience. Let’s have your name and the role you’re auditioning for first.”
“Oh. R-right.” She gave an apologetic curtsy and began again, pulling her hair away from her eyes and peeking out into the audience. “My name is Ausrine Nov- ... Romanov, and I’ll be auditioning for the role of Svetlana.” She gave another nervous curtsy and straightened up her posture, only to slump her shoulders and let her hair fall before her face seconds later. I felt my heart quiver with anticipation of her words, the very sight of her, illuminated onstage sent gave me an arrhythmic flutter. Elaine glared at me suspiciously and prodded the stack of satchels in my lap, and whispered a question about them. I did not quite hear her. The director cleared his throat.
“Well then, darling, thank you for coming, go ahead and begin.”
“... Svetlana: But I can’t pay the rent! I...”

Her words were inaudible from my seat but I couldn't help but feel entranced by her bashful beauty, endeared to the way she crushed the script in her hands and quivered onstage. I don’t think I heard a word she said up there, however. She approached me hesitantly afterwards, and blushed and shook her hair in front of herself once more. Elaine, having retrieved her backpack and coat, was making her way towards me.
Ausrine’s head darted back and forth between Elaine and I, and in a moment of brazen courage, she plowed her way past Elaine and cut her off before she could approach me. Ausrine clasped her hands together at her chest and bumped into me and gave a gasp. Taking a shy step back she peeked at me from behind her hair and stood silent for a moment. Elaine, standing impatiently behind Ausrine, frowned and put her hands on her hips, pouting silently. She locked eyes with me and clenched her fists.
Ela: Meet me after class, at the gates
She broke out in a contagious smile and bounced away, leaving me face to face with Ausrine. She caught sight of my smile and a tiny grin appeared on her face as well. She opened her mouth to speak but Anya materialized out of nowhere and seized her by the shoulders.
“You were great! It’s my turn now so I’ve got to go in but meet me at the gym after school! Bid me good luck Ausie!”
“G-good luck, Anya.” They waved at each other a moment before the double theatre doors slammed shut.
“She’s right, you know.” I nodded encouragingly. “Without a doubt you’ll get the lead.”
“You think so? I don’t know, I wasn’t prepared.” She was fiddling with her glassheart on its chain.  “My mother was an actress, so she pushes me to act very hard. I... I don’t know if I’ll really do that well, there’s so many other students trying out, and this is my first time...”
Ausrine Novacore: Will you meet us at the gym after school?
User: Of course, why do you ask via glassheart?
“N-No reason, I... have to go to class though.
Ausrine Novacore: Thank you for coming.
“Oh, very well, I liked your audition though, I’m glad I came.”
User: Anytime. Well, Actually, can I ask you something?
“Goodbye, Dmitri.”
Ausrine Novacore: Um... After School, okay? I have to go.
“Bye, see you later!”
User: Oh.
I watched her stride away, in a hurried, cautious gait. I was left scratching my head and slightly frustrated with her sudden retreat.

No comments:

Post a Comment