Friday, February 7, 2014

Hearts All of Glass 5.5: Callbacks

The final bell set me free, and after snatching my satchel up and rushing out the door I was accosted by Elaine.
“Where are you going? The school gates are that way!” She tugged my arm and pointed in the opposite direction, leaning into the flowing crowds of the hallway. I looked through the crowds towards the distant gymnasium doors and shrugged. “Dolt, you've been here a few weeks you should know your way around by now!” She scolded me playfully but still tightened her grip on my forearm. “Come on, I’ve got a car waiting.”
I figured Ausrine had Anya for company and resigned to accompany Elaine into the fray.
“Woah, this is your father’s car?!” I didn't know much about steam cars, but I had enough intuition to tell how luxurious and sporting the purple open-top coupe was before me.
“Not for long, it’s mine on my eighth birthday.” Her driver opened the door from the inside and we slid into the back row of seats. I was seated far across from her in the spacious rear and she patted the middle inviting me to draw closer. I obliged her as we lurched into motion and the car huffed off into the busy Blackheart boulevard. I felt the pulse of a new message flash in my head but I didn’t bother to check it.
“Where are we going?” I called over the roar of the wind in our ears.
“To a real theater! My father reserved us tickets!” She smiled sincerely and I felt a twinge of a spark between us.
“The theater? Why I’m honored!”
“It’s nothing, just a little treat for showing up at my audition today, thank you for that. Not many of all my friends bother to pay attention to my acting you know.” I shook my head.
“That’s their loss.” I swallowed hard as the car crossed the trolley tracks with a bump. We chattered about our acting class and the odds of being cast in the play for a while, and I cautiously avoided mentioning Ausrine, in case her sentiment about Elaine ran both ways.


Her driver pulled up in front of the magnificent facade of the Blackheart Royal Theatre Troupe’s home playhouse. The Caldera, as it was jokingly called, was a truly gorgeous landmark to behold, even from the outside it radiated culture and history. The brilliant display of colored electric lights reflected in our eyes as we hurriedly climbed out of the car, I turned to mumble a thank you to the driver but he was away as soon as Elaine was out. It occurred to me that we had left our school bags in the car, but before I could mention it to Elaine she had dashed up to the ticket booths at the entrance.
“Two under Prokofiev, please.” She said, raising a finger importantly. The attendant behind the shining glass scanned the shelf of golden tickets behind him.
“I am sorry, we have no such reservations under that name. Perhaps the gentleman has-” I shook my head violently and Elaine made a sour face. She gripped my arm and rushed me back out to the street.
“Gods, I can’t believe this, I’m so sorry!” I shook my head again at this and raised a hand.
“Don’t dwell on it, I’m sure you-”
“And I don’t have my glassheart! I must have left it in my book-bag!” I noticed her wrist was conspicuously bare, and indeed I could have sworn I saw her ruby-red bracelet on her when she left the car. Still, without it I realized we were stranded. “This must be a terrible mistake, I’m certain father told me we had seats guaranteed. I’m sorry Dmitri, but Petrov won’t be back with the car until around nightfall. It is alright with your parents that we stay out that late, right?” I thought back to my Uncle and recalled his work schedule. He shouldn't have been home before midnight that day. Rather than spend my few pocket sovereigns on a public phone to ask his permission I figured I’d be home before he arrived and there’d be no issue. Mei crossed my mind but I doubted she’d mind no matter what I did.
“It’s alright, we can see another play, I suppose?”
“No, no, I don’t have much money on hand. Besides, the other plays start far later in the evening, look.” She waved at the marquee and sighed. Then almost suddenly, she perked up and met my eyes. “Would you join me for a walk? I’m sure nobody will mind a pair of students roaming the arts quarter this time of day. Besides, I know so many great spots around here, I can show you around.” I needed no convincing, her smile was infectious as usual and I took the arm she offered and nodded politely.
“Where to?”
“I haven’t the slightest idea.” At this she laughed wildly to herself. “Are you feeling peckish enough for a bite to eat?”
“I couldn't refuse if I tried. Where, though?” She looked at me with dismay. She cocked her head, thinking, and we continued to walk along for several minutes in silence before she straightened up again and pointed across the street.
“There! They have the greatest sweets in Blackheart, even if the shop itself is a touch embarrassing.” Before I could ask what she meant I was being dragged into traffic to cut across the busy street. Our arms unhooked halfway across and she stumbled forward and I nearly tripped in front of a speeding carriage. By the time we’d scrambled across the way we were flushed and panting, smiling at each other fondly and very much glad to be alive. She regained her composure first and beckoned me towards the shop.
Inside I was pleasantly ambushed by a myriad of rich aromas. Cakes, candies, and fruit all washed over me as I gaped at the delicacy-lined displays. As I walked up to the counter where Elaine stood pensively I became aware of her scent as well. Has she been wearing that delicate perfume in the car? I could not recall. She said something to the chocolatier and stood on her toes to point at a candy box high on the shelf. She paid casually, spilling a few gold sovereigns onto the counter from a wallet she had hidden in some secret pocket of her skirt. I fished a few crumpled banknotes out of my uniform and hesitantly purchased the an inexpensive bottle of sweetened water. Elaine finished untying the lavish bow on her box of chocolates and bowed politely to the shopkeeper.
“That’s all you’re getting? Don’t you want some chocolates?” I shifted uncomfortably, not sure how to explain my financial inability. I was sure I had a few hundred sovereigns more left at home but in that moment I was destitute. I started to shake my head but she caught on to my situation. “Don’t worry, we can share mine.” She beamed for a moment and bobbed her head before skipping outside. The street was busy as ever and all the tables at the neighboring cafe were taken so Elaine proposed we find a better spot to eat our sweets.
“Lead the way.” I bowed forward and gestured with a flourish.
“I will.” She winked, and started striding ahead while looking back at me with a grin. The day wore on as we trekked through the bustling crowds, drawing sidelong looks from the well-to-do and socialties that roamed the reflective maze of boutique windows as the sunset loomed. By the time we settled on a place to stop I felt as if we had been walking for aeons, and I pulled on my tie and panted, adjusting my jacket as Elaine shifted from foot to foot impatiently.
“We’re almost there! It’s just down this way.” I looked down at the box of chocolates, wrapped in her jacket (which she had wisely handed off to me an hour ago) and worried for its solidity. I followed her to tiled atrium behind a cluster of art studios where a marble fountain trickled away. Four benches bordered the square but none were occupied, and oddly enough I felt as if I hadn’t seen another human being in a while. The winding footpaths of the upper art district were largely abandoned before nightfall and Elaine knew it. I pondered the possibility of discarding my own jacket in the heat, but my upbringing prevented me from seriously considering such an indecent course of action. Indeed, Elaine had taken off hers, and I must have been blushing for the first thirty minutes of our walk. No harm done though, and no virtue lost on her part I supposed, our white dress shirts we wore beneath our jackets were very plain and modest, to say the least. She surprised me further by seating herself on the closest bench without my invitation and undoing the bow around the collar of her shirt. I loosened my tie a bit as I took a seat beside her and watched in confusion as she stuffed the bow into her skirt pocket and unbuttoned her collar and top few blouse buttons fanning herself and sighing dramatically.
“What if someone comes? Don’t you think you ought to...”
“What? It’s dangerously hot out, I doubt they’d blame me. Besides, we used to go without our top buttons in grammar school, or don’t you remember?”
“Yes, but we weren't so... Well endowed back then.” I venture. She gasps and recoils jokingly at my scandalous comment. She smirks and muses:
“I... suppose. Say you always wear your school uniform, even on weekends. I hope you have a change of clothes you enjoy more than those dregs. And a gentleman your age is entitled to a hat as well.” It was true I was without a hat, a highly inexcusable social faux pas at the time, even in casual company. In my school uniform I was able to get away with it, but in my ordinary shirt and trousers I didn't dare venture out without at least a straw boater. She smiled reassuringly and took my hand. “We’ll get you one soon, don’t worry.”
I glanced down at her hand on mine. I looked back up to catch her smiling at me and she shook her head in a sudden flurry of her cropped hair and reached across my lap for her jacket. She produced the box of candies from within and held it between us. I helped her pull the lid off and she gestured for me to take one first. I smiled and shook my head, insisting she go first. She shrugged and took a white one, first biting into it delicately, then tossing the rest into her mouth and humming with satisfaction. Her eyes widened to indicate that it was indeed delicious and it was my turn. I twisted off the cap of my sugar water and offered her the beverage. She smirked and took another chocolate. I set the drink down between us and started to try and match her consumption.
Within a few minutes the candies were all but obliterated, and we both held a menagerie of brilliant tastes on our tongues.
“Good, isn’t it?” She remarked, while licking the excess chocolate off her fingers.
“Yes, I especially liked the white ones.” We both reached for the bottle at the same time.
“You’re quite welcome then, Vladinova.” Our hands touched.
“I’m sorry, I meant to say thank you, It’s just I...” She clasped mine.
“It was my treat, no need to apologize.” We leaned towards each other, our words growing soft and muted. “I’m glad you liked it.”
“Let me treat you to something next time, I feel I owe you much more than this.” I tapped the glass bottle with a finger but kept my hand in hers. She was blushing vibrantly.
“You can start repaying me right now, if you like...” She nearly whispered the last few words, her usual confidence replaced by a humbled reverence. I tilted my head in confusion and leaned towards her to ask:
“But how? I offered you my water, and-” Her eyes were shut, our heads inches apart. Her lips quivered for a moment before she stammered:
“Just kiss me!” I took the hint and obliged her.


Her jacket and my water between us on the bench, there was no contact between us other than our lips and fingers. Our apprehensive lips were still and stiff at first, pressed together in a warm haze of excitement. She slowly moved her head and pressed against me, mouthing silent words against my lips as her fingers contracted around mine. The taste of the chocolates she had beaten me to were no longer a mystery, and her scent was as rich and overwhelming as the entire candy shop at this proximity.
Ela: You taste nice.
My eyes flew open and I gasped. She gave a look that asked what was the matter, and I saw that in her free hand she was clutching her audiolith. I didn't question it’s appearance or even ask why she felt the need to send messages while we kissed. I fished mine out of my pocket before standing and pulling her up to kiss me once more.
User: You look it.
Ela: What? Nice?
User: More than nice.
Ela: Is this strange?
User: Yes...
Ela: Should I stop? I don’t mind simply kissing you.
User: I can feel you blushing at those words. It’s strange but I like it, carry one.
Ela: Thank you, but your actions have a way of making me lose track of what I mean to say -Elaine
User: ...Indeed. ... But it was your idea, after all.
The suns had sunk below the city skyline before we really opened our eyes again. We stood there in the twilight, our arms about each other and our lips parched. We’d only been at it a few minutes in reality, but in a way it felt like hours, and at the same time, only a few unfair seconds. I murmured something about the time and she straightened her back and put both hands on her hips.
“Ah. My driver will be waiting for us. Would you care to take supper at my house?” I pondered the shocking implications of this statement and wondered what she thought of us as. I certainly would not have minded accompanying her, but I thought better of it, recalling my uncle’s impending return. I was still probably smiling like an idiot when I turned down her offer. “That’s fine, don’t worry about it.” She said, clearly upset though.

The suns had fully set by the time we walked back to the theater where her driver sat lie in wait. He folded his newspaper as we opened the car door and smirked at us before chuckling to himself. He mumbled something about being young and Elaine gave him instructions to take me home before returning her to her father’s department store. I wondered what she wanted to do there at this time of day. We didn’t hold hands in the car, but we did share my bottle of sweetened water and exchanged many pleasantries which must have sounded painfully absurd to her driver. Terrible compliments about sweetness and puns about white chocolate may have been involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment