Friday, November 29, 2013

Fragments

It comes in small pieces, night by night, leaking into my dreams from the place beyond sleep. Yes, I'm talking about inspiration. In the downtime between lengthy random exposition I see my self posting a great deal about the various things that inspire me and all artists in general. At one point in my life I would probably have attributed every interesting thought of mine to a single individual, and even gone so far as to discredit myself for all my creative accomplishments. In reality I've been able to carry on writing and drawing without excessively turbulent emotion or ridiculous self deprecating notions, so I'm lead to believe otherwise in regards to my theory about a singular female inspiration. 
  Trust me, I'm well beyond that. I hope. So where do I draw my imagery, plot and passion for writing? Your guess is as good as mine. A good starting point is music, although I'd say it acts as more of a catalyst for creative prowess rather than a wellspring. I'm sure at least  some of you involuntarily envision touching stories in conjunction with the music, oftentimes tragic, ironic, surreal love stories?  No? What about framing an appropriate music video to coincide with the lyrics? That's a more common practice, So I've heard. When I write, I stick to music without lyrics for the most part, but when I think about writing it's with almost euphoric delight that I soak in the words to every song I can absorb. Although I am partial to a few sub-genres in particular, I  strive to take in as much of the world's repertoire as possible. 
  Now, a few of you may recognize that not all music is created equal, and you're entirely right. But without fail, in one way or another, all music shares or expresses a human story, even if it's not explicitly about an interpersonal struggle. It all shares a bit more perspective,  and for now that's what passes for inspiration in my mind- Peek or hints at how other living beings perceive the world. All of this is subject to sudden drastic changes of heart, so feel free to point out how my rants about inspiration and the attainment of inspiration evolve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment